Monday, June 16, 2008

Update on the birdwatching (my newest obsession)

For those of you who are following this story, I thought I would give you an update. The chicks are now starting to lose their down, and they are turning from white to light brown. They have been standing alot and flapping their wings at the side of the nest, so I bet it won't be long before they are flying!

I have a friend who volunteers with the Raptor Center at the U of MN. She came over this weekend and got some good pictures of the birds and the nest. If she emails any of the pictures to me, I will make sure to post them on here.

On a side note, I saw one of the tree guys in the grocery store the next day, and he was very concerned for the birds. I told him they were doing fine in our tree and the parents had come to our nest. He told me that when they took the branch down, they were just about to put it into the chipper when they noticed the babies in the nest! Thank goodness he was concerned enough about them to yell stop. (To tell you the truth, I think he was the only one that was concerned in the crew that was working on the tree removal.) He said that the owner of the tree wanted it gone because it was "messy". I am sure that our neighbor knew that there was a nest in the tree. He may not have known about the babies, but he should have taken some precautions to relocate the nest. I am going to do some investigating...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update. I, too, came to read your post via Birdchick and I thank you for saving these chicks. :)

Angie said...

I'm so glad for the update! My latest obsession is with the birds, too. :) I am really so grateful that you happened to be at home the day of the tree cutting. I shudder to think about the end result had you not been there. Thank you!

Vintage Tracy said...

WOW! I haven't check your blog in a while and look at all I've missed! Keep us posted on how it goes with the birdies!